Terrain NRM and the Wet Tropics Management Authority are helping Rainforest Aboriginal people and their organisations to develop and implement small to medium sized projects that:
- Enhance knowledge.
- Fulfil cultural responsibilities to country.
- Improve capacity to manage the cultural and natural values of their traditional land and sea estates in the Wet Tropics region.
10 projects were successful in obtaining a combined total of $120,000 in grant funding in 2016-17.
Terrain supports leadership, mentoring and knowledge sharing opportunities with grants between $5,000 - $15,000 (GST exclusive) to:
- Bring trainers to the organisation, or enrol individuals in mentoring and leadership courses.
- Send staff on secondments to other organisations.
- Facilitate travel to workshops, conferences and or other Traditional Owner groups to gain knowledge and insight of other groups.
- Purchase small items of equipment to assist in facilitation of learning outcomes.
Wet Tropics Management Authority supports projects with grants between $5,000 - $10,000 (GST exclusive) to:
- Develop World Heritage partnerships and fulfil traditional management practice.
- Enhance cultural recognition and presentation of cultural values.
- Support sustainable livelihood opportunities and involvement in World Heritage Area management.