The Snap the Tropics competition is an opportunity for the Wet Tropics community to showcase the splendour of the tropical rainforest and what it means to you – to share why you choose to live in this unique region, and what makes you want to wait a while and linger longer on a rainforest walk.
We want to see and hear what places and spaces are important to you. Maybe you’ve captured a photo of the tail of an azure kingfisher as it disappears in the canopy or a picture of a fern covered in water droplets unfurling on the forest floor after the rain. These photographs, that you feel compelled to snap to preserve a special moment in time, are exactly what we are looking for.
Submit your photographs with text of no more than 100 words describing the moment and its significance here.
The best photographs will be included at an exhibition at the Botanic Gardens Visitors Centre, and will feature in the upcoming State of the Wet Tropics report on the natural beauty and aesthetics of the internationally significant world heritage area.
Jointly sponsored by the Cairns Regional Council and Advance Cairns.“We are really excited to see the ’wonder of the Wet Tropics’ through the eyes of the people that choose to live and work here. It is a great opportunity to share your photographic skills with a larger audience and better yet, the winners of both the youth and adult categories will win a GoPro camera,” said WTMA Chair, Leslie Shirreffs.
Enter the competition using our online entry form below.
Terms and conditions
1. The competition is run by Wet Tropics Management Authority (ABN 50 264 108 752), PO Box 2050, Cairns, QLD 4870.
2. Entrants can submit more than one image.
3. Submissions will be accepted from 16 August 2017 until close of business on 11 September 2017.
4. Photographs must be submitted in electronic form as a high resolution images in .jpg format with a minimum file size of 1MG.
5. Employees of the Wet Tropics Management Authority are not eligible to enter.
6. The Wet Tropics Management Authority does not accept any responsibility for lost, late or incomplete entries, all of which will be ineligible.
7. There is no fee payable to Wet Tropics Management Authority to enter this competition.
8. Each photographer retains copyright of his or her images, and proper credit lines will be attributed to each photographer when used by the Wet Tropics Management Authority.
9. The entrant authorises the Wet Tropics Management Authority to display and print any photographs entered in this competition to conduct and promote the World Heritage Area for non-commercial purposes.
10. The entrant must be the copyright owner of any images he/she enters into the competition.
11. Any post-production and editing must be the work of the entrant.
12. Entrants must supply a completed consent form for any images containing people. Guardians must supply consent for minors being photographed.
13. The entrant indemnifies Wet Tropics Management Authority against any claim, legal or otherwise, that may arise out of publication of the image.
14. This is not a game of chance.
15. The winner of the competition will be chosen by independent judges. The judge's decision is final.
16. The prize cannot be bartered and is not redeemable for cash.
17. A selected number of photographs will be displayed at the Cairns Botanic Gardens Visitor Centre from 15 September 2017.
18. By entering the photograph into this competition the entrant guarantees to Wet Tropics Management Authority that the above entry requirements have been acknowledged and met.