Permit system

When planning a project or activity that could impact upon the environment, it is important to first determine what kinds of approvals are required. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of our free consultation service before lodging an application with the Wet Tropics Management Authority (the Authority). This will ensure the correct information has been provided and the application can proceed without delays.

What activities require a permit?

All activities which disturb vegetation, soil, water or scenic values in the Wet Tropics of Queensland World Heritage Area (the Area) will probably require a permit application.

What is the permit system? 

The Wet Tropics Management Plan 1998 (the Management Plan) regulates land use activities within the Area and designates management zones which specify activities that are either prohibited, allowed under permit, or allowed without a permit. The Management Plan includes principles and criteria for deciding permit applications. See legislation for more details.

The Authority has developed Wet Tropics Management Plan 1998 guidelines to help assess permit applications and inform permit applicants. These guidelines may sometimes be used as part of the conditions for issuing a permit.

Building and maintenance of roads, powerlines, towers, railways, cableways and visitor sites within the Area requires a permit. The Authority has ongoing maintenance permits with all infrastructure agencies, including state and local government agencies who look after community services infrastructure. See management partnerships for details.

How to apply for a permit

To determine if a proposal will require a permit please contact the Wet Tropics Management Authority and talk over the proposal with a permits officer.

  • Email:
  • Phone: +617 42410500
  • Refer to information sheet number 2 below for more details about the permit application process

To optimise completion of the form (if not already installed), get Adobe Acrobat Reader. 

  1. Windows and Mac users—download, install and use the official Adobe Acrobat Reader from this link
  2. Mobile users (phones and tablets)—go to the relevant app store to install the mobile version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Please ensure you install the official Adobe app as there are many 3rd-party fake apps available. 

Minor and inconsequential activities

Some activities may be considered minor and inconsequential and, therefore, not require a permit. Please ask the Authority whether your proposed activity may be considered minor and inconsequential. Minor and inconsequential activities are those which:

  • only involve minor removal or pruning of vegetation; and
  • do not impact on the integrity of the Area; and
  • only involve minor earthworks (insignificant potential for erosion); and
  • may be considered as having a minor and inconsequential impact on the Area.

The following examples could reasonably be considered activities with minor and inconsequential impact:

  • clearing vegetation in the immediate vicinity of a residence
  • maintaining a structure, garden or small clearing around a residence or an access to a residence
  • maintaining a walking track, where the maintenance works only involve minor clearing or pruning of vegetation and/or only minor earth works, and no expansion of the 'footprint' of the track or the extent of the existing cleared area
  • bush walking or camping in the Area
  • driving a vehicle off a road to avoid an obstacle on the road.

For more detailed information on minor and inconsequential activities, download Information Sheet No. 3.

Please contact the Authority to find out if a proposed activity is minor and inconsequential.

Wet Tropics Management Authority

Certain activities by landholders and native title holders required a permit. 

A permit may be issued to a landholder or native title holder to carry out certain domestic activities on their land. These domestic activities may include:

  • building a residence
  • clearing or building access to a residence on the land
  • establishing a house garden or orchard
  • extracting water for domestic use.

Tables of permits issued and under assessment

The Authority is responsible for the assessment of permit applications made in accordance with the provisions of the Wet Tropics Management Plan 1998. For information on permits issued please email the Wet Tropics Management Authority.

Information sheets

These information sheets give answers for the common questions about the Wet Tropics Management Plan 1998 and the permit system.


Number Information sheet Download pdf file


General information


Permit application and assessment


Minor and inconsequential activities


DNRM lease, licence and permit holders


Freehold land in the World Heritage Area






Flying over the World Heritage Area


Commercial tour operations


Mining, quarrying and fossicking


Seed collecting


Undesirable animals and plants


Information for local government

  • Info Sheet 13 - COMING SOON


Development and maintenance of infrastructure


Plain English interpretation of the Plan

  • Info Sheet 15 - COMING SOON

Share Connect Protect